Friday, July 3, 2020

Phil Anschutz's Examiner.com shuts down, ending new media run



I thought I would reflect over the past 10 years of my outdoor recreation writing this 4th of July weekend.  Today, July 3rd, is a holiday for most government and public service employees which I am one during my day job.  

Examiner.com was the brain child go Denver billionaire Phil Anschutz. During its run, Examiner.com became the fourth ranked news and media website of the time. It started in 2008 and ended on Sunday July 10, 2016. On this day AXS.com pulled all the content off line. That was a vary sad day for 1,000s of Examiners. All the writers / reporters were called Examiners. I started writing for Examiner.com in 2010 as the Outdoor Recreation in Orlando Examiner. During the time I wrote for examiner I published 292 local and national outdoor recreation articles. At one time, I had reached a top four ranking of all the nationwide outdoor recreation Examiners. I was really proud of that. I was up against some really stiff competition. 

When Examiner.com decided to notify all its nationwide Examines of the bad news, they did it by email. I read the email from a AB&B rental in Sadona, AZ while on a vacation / photo shoot that turned into one of my Examiner.com articles.  I was shocked. There was nothing I could do about all my content online. Luckily I had copies of all my postings on CD or on a flash drive. When I got back from Arizona, I started my Google Blogger web page which I use to day to post all my outdoor recreation articles. I have posted about 106 articles to my blog since I started it. After every post to Examiner.com I would also post to my two Facebook pages and to my Pinterest, LinkedIn and Twitter accounts. All together I have over 4,000 social media followers.  If you go to my Robert Wiebel Pinterest account you can find my Outdoor Recreation Examiner Board and my Outdoor Recreation in Orlando Board.  All the article links on the Outdoor Recreation Examiner Board are broken but you can see the cover page for each of my articles.  All the links on my Outdoor Recreation in Orlando board work and will take you to my Google Blogger.com page. 

Well everyone that my story and I am sticking to it. And remember during the COVID-19 Pandemic, if you venture out into the great outdoors, keep your distance from strangers and by all means wear a mask if you have to get close to anyone.   

Until next time, be safe in the sun and have a great day in the great outdoors. 




No comments:

Post a Comment