Saturday, July 9, 2016

Tenba Black Shootout Action Pack Ready for Action

Over the long 4th of July weekend I traveled to Sedona, Arizona for a quick visit and a photo shoot of the Sedona red rocks.  On this trip I had to decide which of my four cameras to take.  Being that I need the capability to shoot scenic images at great distances, I chose my Lumix GH3 with a Lumix G Vario 100-300 lens. For close-up work I chose my Lumix Gx1 with the Lumix Vario 14-45 lens.  Because I also have a JVC HD movie camera and GoPro Black 3+, it took a while for me to decide whether or not to take them along.  What governed my decision was the baggage restrictions placed on all travelers by the airlines.  I decided to leave my JVC HD movie camera and GoPro Black 3 at home.
Now that I made the decision on what camera gear to take, what camera bag would I use? Before the trip I did not have a backpack camera bag that I wanted to take.  All my camera lenses and camera bodies were stored in a medium Pelican Storm Case, this case was way too heavy for me use as a carry on and I did not want to check it as luggage. 
A week before I was planning to leave, Kristin Robinson, PR Manager for Pitch Public Relations, contacted me about writing about the new Tenba Shootout Action Pack 14L – Black GoPro camera bag.  I immediately emailed her back and said if you can get me one before I fly out, I will test it out for you. The bag arrived in two days and my problem was solved.

Because this bag is designed specifically for GoPro type cameras, I had to think how I would use the all the different compartments and sleeves.  All the outside side pockets worked great to carry my water bottles, cell phones and IPad Mini.  The four inside clear plastic pockets that were designed for the GoPro accessories would be the challenge to pack because my Lumix cameras and lens were much larger than the GoPro 4 camera and accessories.  After thinking it through, I decided on a course of action.  My GH3 body was placed in one pocket. The GX1 in another pocket along with the Lumix Vario 14-45 lens. In the padded pocket which can hold four (4) GoPro style cameras I was able to place the Lumix Vario 100-300 lens. In the fourth pocket I was able to bring along my JVC HD camera which I never used on the trip.  This was not a good choice.  I did not have to strap my mono-pod to the bag because it was packed in my suitcase.  All in all the Tenba Shootout Action Pack 14L – Black GoPro camera bag packed with my Panasonic 4/3 cameras and lens did the trick. 
During the Delta flights to and from Arizona, the Tenba Shootout Action Pack 14L – Black GoPro camera bag fit perfectly in the overhead compartment.  Throughout the trip I was able to carry the Shootout Action Pack easily.  When I got to Arizona my son, who is in the U.S. Army, tried out the Shootout Action Pack. He said that he liked how the pack the fit and was easy to carry.  He is modeling the bag in the photos.
For the average person, the bag does everything it was designed to do and then some.  But because if you are a really big person like me, the shoulder straps could have been a little bit longer and the waist strap at it maximum length do not fit my Santa sized belly.  Also when I wore the bag the strap that connected the two shoulder straps in the front was not usable because of my chest size.  This was because the shoulder straps were probably designed for human factors 50% percentile average sized person. My son was able to connect the front strap with ease.  All in all without the waist and front straps not fastened, I was able to comfortably carry the bag while traveling to and from Arizona and while hiking the red rocks of Sedona. 
 All that being said, the Shootout 14L Action Pack with your camera gear, like most backpack camera bags do not have room for your jacket, lunch or other hiking gear.  You might do better with a larger size bag from the Shootout Collection where you can remove some of the divider inserts to give you room for other stuff.   If I had it to do all over again, the Shootout Backpack 32L just might have been a better choice.  But if you plan to do a photo shoot where you bring along GoPro gear and a DSLR camera and a few lenses the Shootout 14L Action Pack just might do the trick. There is also another solution to the backpack space dilemma.  Tenba has a solution.  They make an entire line of padded camera bag inserts.  All you have to do is select the right sized insert or inserts and use your standard backpack to carry you camera gear and all your other hiking or mountaineering gear and equipment.  Problem solved.
You can carry up to 4 GoPro cameras or similar sized action cameras, plus all you GoPro camera accessories. The bag has self-sealing zippers and a rain cover. One of the bags strongest features is with the waist strap fastened; you can turn the bag around while wearing it to change lenses or other camera gear.   To review all the other great features and watch a video, you can click HERE for their website. This backpack is really multi-functional.  It can carry both GoPro and other camera gear that can save you money because you do not need to purchase two specialty bags, one for the GoPro and one for DSLR cameras and gear.  All you need to do is to purchase one of Tenba’s tool boxes that will fit in the Shootout 14L Action Pack for your DSLR cameras and lens.    
When selecting a new or your first camera backpack, give the Shootout 14L Action Pack or any of the other Tenba camera backpacks and tool boxes a hard look. 

Until next time, be safe in the sun and have a great day in the great outdoors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment